Tuesday, November 6, 2007

JESHURUN

"BUT NOW listen, O Jacob, my servant, Israel, whom I have chosen.
This is what the LORD says -
he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you:
Do not be afraid, O Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.

(Isaiah 44:1-2)

I was reading Isaiah this morning and noticed the word Jeshurun. Even the Blogger spell check underline this word in red. I began to ponder, "O Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen," is Jeshurun another name for Jacob? I haven't heard of that. Is this another person besides Jacob? I'm too lazy to go back and search through the scripture. Well, this is when the the friendly wikipedia comes in handy.

According to the wiki, Jeshurun is a poetic name for Israel. It also may refer to the people of Israel, the land of Israel, or Jacob (as in Isaiah 44:2). Wiki adds to this and explains that the word Jeshurun roots from the Hebrew word yesharim, which means "upright," often refer to the people of Israel.

LINK: Wikipedia - Jeshurun

No comments: